SLIDER

9 Big Discoveries I Made This Year - That You Should Too!




Blink and it's over...this is how I feel every time the year ends and a new one begins. In honor of the famous Instagram Top 9, I am taking some time to reflect by sharing the Top 9 discoveries I made during the year - which run the gamut from beauty & household products to travel accessories & role models.

#1 All of the Oils


I am a bit late to the game on this, but I absolutely fell in love with oils this year! In the past, I would only use oils for cooking and baking. Now, I am completely on the oil bandwagon and use them to moisturize my entire body and face, add them a relaxing bath, or diffuse them overnight.

Since I  have oily skin, I never considered putting oil anywhere near my face or body - I assumed it would turn me into a grease ball. Low and behold, the complete opposite is true - my face is significantly less oily when moisturizing with oil and my body absorbs it almost immediately, leaving no residue to be seen.

My favorites are:
- For body: Bath & Body Works Nourishing Body Oil in Vanilla & Patchouli
- For face: Colleen Rothschild Face Oil No 9 and Marie Veronique Protective Day Oil
- For baths: Natrogix Bliss Essential Oils (especially lemon & sweet orange)
- To diffuse overnight: Good Sleep Essential Oil (my diffuser is no longer for sale but here is a good one)

 #2 Reusable Food Storage


I bought some reusable grocery & produce bags midway through 2018 and they have brought me so much happiness. Not only do I feel good about reducing waste, but the grocery bags fit way more than the standard plastic ones which means way less trips from the car to the house (and I'd rather die than go back to my car for a 2nd trip).

I also picked up some reusable food storage baggies (think Zip-Lock) and beeswax wrap (which replace plastic wrap). These are both super easy to use and clean, are eco-friendly, and will save you $$!


#3 Sustainable Shopping


I am loving shopping for natural household products from The Grove Collaborative and new/like-new clothing from online consignment shop ThredUp (use the link for a $10 coupon).

Some of my favorite finds from The Grove are the Probiotic Air + Fabric Refresh, Cutting Board Oil (which I use to clean my stainless steel fridge!), Walnut Scrubber Sponges, Fabric Softener in Ginger Mango, and Oxygen Whitener. When I head to ThredUp I usually filter for my sizes and new with tags / like-new and go to town. Some of my favorite finds are a brand new green Lily Pulitzer sweater I scored for $21 and and new with tags Brooks Brothers skirt for $33!


#4 Helpful Kitchen Gadgets


I love finding new ways to cook meals during the week in as little time as possible (without compromising on taste). I cannot get over how quickly my air fryer cooks frozen veggies and meats (my favorite is skin-on chicken thighs). It makes cooking feel like a magic trick.

The same sentiment applies to my instant pot. Mine has a ton of functions but thus far I have only used it to pressure cook meats. The food won't have the same crisp achieved by an air fryer, but it is consistently juicy and done in no time!


#5 Powerhouse Ladies


For me, 2018 was the year of finding some amazing role models...on the Internet (that are completely strangers to me, of course). I stumbled upon Jenna Kutcher through her Goaldigger podcast and now love to follow her on Instagram and via her website for tons of tips on business and life.

I had not been familiar with Rachel Hollis until I picked up her latest book Girl, Wash Your Face a few months ago. She has a great lifestyle blog, super inspirational Instagram page and hosts TWO podcasts - one alone (Rise) and one with her husband (Rise Together).

#6 Smart Home Savvy


I cannot take any credit for beginning the upgrade of our house to a "smart home" (that all belongs to my husband) but I sure love to reap the benefits! Using these gadgets I can control much of our lighting (on/off, brightness & bulb color), change the thermostat, check our security cameras, speak to someone at our front door, lock/unlock the door, open/close the garage, and (during the holidays) turn on the Christmas lights...all on my phone! It. Is. The. Best. These products can be pricey so we purchased everything in increments (generally when on sale) or received as gifts.

#7 Traveling Smart


I upgraded some of my in-flight travel gear this year and I am super satisfied with it. Firstly, I will never fly without wearing compression socks ever again (bye bye restless legs). I will also never set foot on a plane without my neck pillow - regardless of how quick the flight is. The one I have folds up into a little pouch that easily hooks onto my bag so I never leave it behind.

I am also completely obsessed with my new carry-on which is a handy tote made by Lo & Sons. I love that it has both hand and shoulder straps and a zippered pocket that allows the tote to be secured to the handle of a suitcase. I also love that the bottom of the tote can be sectioned off from the rest of the bag and used for shoes - or anything that should be kept separate from the contents of the tote. I actively use the keyring that is attached to the bag so that I am not digging around to find my keys when I (sadly) arrive home from a trip.

#8 Gut Health


I am by no means an expert on the subject, but throughout the year I became intrigued by the important of gut health and spent a good bit of time researching it. I introduced two habits into my life this year to improve the health of my gut - a multi-collagen protein powder that I add to my coffee each morning (topped off with an almond milk creamer) and a probiotic supplement that I take daily. Both have improved my digestion significantly and as a bonus - the collagen powder has made my nails and hair noticeably stronger.

#9 Old School Organization


I love to organize my life - in lists and spreadsheet and calendars, you name it. I have tried to do this completely on my phone but this year I decided to revert back to a physical planner and I am really loving how this works for me. There is just nothing like the feeling of crossing a to-do item off my list. The planner I use is no longer for sale but this one looks very similar.


I hope everyone learned something new about themselves and the world this year and is ready for an even better year to come!



As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This in no way impacts the products that I choose to share in my posts, it is simply a bonus (at no additional charge to you).

No comments

Post a Comment

© My Golden Mean • Theme by Maira G.