SLIDER

10 Ingredient Ultimate Winter Meal: Mississippi Pot Roast & Cheesy Gouda Grits




I love a good slow cooker meal - especially on a chilly Sunday morning. I roll into the kitchen in my PJ's, toss all of the ingredients into the pot and forget about it for hours until the amazing smell reminds me that dinner. is. already. done!

This particular slow cooker meal is one of my absolute favorites. My husband loves it, it takes only 10 ingredients in total and it results in amazing leftovers. I present to you... Mississippi pot roast with cheesy, creamy, delicious gouda grits.



When I make this pot roast for my husband & I in my slow cooker I use a 3 lb chuck roast (I've also used rump and round roasts which are also boneless and work just fine). This yields plenty for both of us and a few portions of leftovers for lunches. 

Place the roast into the bottom of the cooker and sprinkle the gravy & dressing packets directly onto the roast. You can then pop 5-7 (depending on size) pepperoncini peppers around the roast and drizzle about half the juice from the jar over top.


Then all you've gotta do is pop in a stick of butter (either on top of the roast or nestled on the sides), cover and set on low for the next 8-10 hours.


After the scent has tantalized you for hours, check the roast to see if it's nice and tender. It should be nearly falling apart and juicy, juicy, juicy.

This roast is pretty much foolproof so do not worry about overcooking it. I once cooked it for 8 hours on a Sunday, put straight into the fridge (in the slow cooker pot with lid on) and cooked again on low the next day for a few hours...it still turned out amazing.


When you are happy with the tenderness, turn off the slow cooker and remove the lid so it can cool a bit. Once you can get in there without scalding yourself, shred some of the meat so it is easy to serve and soaks up more of those juuuuuices.



While the meat is cooling, take some time to whip up the perfect vehcile for this pot roast - cheesy gouda grits.

Combine the grits (I order mine on Amazon here and keep in a baggie in the freezer for freshness), chicken broth, milk (or half-and-half or cream...whatever you have) in a sauce pot with a sprinkle of salt. Bring to a boil while stirring frequently, then cover and lower the heat to simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Give this a stir occasionally and keep an eye - the milk can cause it to boil over.



Once the grits have absorbed most of the liquid, stir in the shredded gouda until it melts. Give it a taste and salt more if needed. 



To serve, scoop some grits into a wide bowl and top with some of the meat and peppers. Use a laddle to add some of the cooking liquid (avoid the fat where possible) to the bowl. 

Enjoy!



You may also enjoy:





As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This in no way impacts the products that I choose to share in my posts, it is simply a bonus (at no additional charge to you).

No comments

Post a Comment

© My Golden Mean • Theme by Maira G.